Eagle Watch April, 2011
This is the camera that makes it possible for us to watch the eagles.
Nature cinematographer Neil Rettig (left) of Wisconsin., and Dave Kester of Decorah, Iowa, remove old mounting hardware to make way for a new pan/tilt/zoom video camera at an eagle’s nest about 80 feet up a tree near the Decorah Fish Hatchery on Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2010
Answers to the Eagle Quiz
1. How long is the incubation period for an eagle egg?
A. 15-25 days B. 31 - 45 days C. 53-68 days
2. How old are bald eagles before they fledge, or take their first flight?
A. 4-6 weeks B. 7-8 weeks C. 9-14 weeks
3. Eagles are diurnal hunters. What does this mean?
A. They hunt during the night.
B. They hunt during the day.
C. They hunt anytime.
4. A bald eagle can see a rabbit or other prey from ________ away.
A. 0.5 miles B. 1 mile C. 2 miles
5. TRUE or FALSE? The bald eagle appears on the Illinois State Flag.
6. Bald eagles usually use the same nest year after year. How heavy was the largest nest found in Ohio?
A. 500 pounds B. 1 ton C. 2 tons
Windchill 31 °F
Dew Point 33 °FWind 17.0 mph
The first egg hatched April 2nd . The second hatched April 3rd. The third is expected to hatch at any time.
This pair of eagles has been together since 2007. They have successfully hatched and fledged eight eaglets in the previous three years. The nest is located about 80 feet up in a cottonwood tree located near Decorah, Iowa on private property near the Decorah Fish Hatchery operated by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
Over the weekend the male brought his mate a rabbit, a crow and a fish. This little clip is mesmerizing!
Saturday, April 2, 2011
Baby Bald Eagles
Baby American bald eagles are expected to hatch in Decorah, Iowa, between March 30 and April 1. Scroll down and look on the right hand side of the blog...there is a live webcam. You can join the thousands of people who are watching, It is day 4.
TO AVOID THE BULK OF THE ADVERTISING CLICK ON THE SMALL ARROW IN THE BOTTOM LEFT HAND CORNER.